Baked Cheesy Spaghetti
|August 29, 2011||Filled under Main Dish, Make Ahead, Pasta|
Baked Cheesy Spaghetti is an interesting recipe. I created this one at the end of the week when the cupboards were on the verge of bare. My family is a huge fan of macaroni and cheese and I thought maybe this would be a alternative, close but not quite, and a good use of leftover groceries. I will be completely honest; when it came out of the oven, I was really not that impressed. I didn’t think the flavor was all that great and it certainly was not pretty. But I served it to my daughters with fingers crossed and hoping for the best. They LOVED it! Both had multiple helpings. They praised this dish like it was the best thing since peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I was amazed. So, I am adding this recipe to the Wagon inventory in hopes that you or someone you love might have the same response. This recipe makes 1 9×13 inch pan, plenty of servings. It can be a side dish or a main dish, can be made up to 2 days ahead of time and would be good for potlucks.
- 1 lb spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 3 cups Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 tbs flour
- 1 tsp salt
- dash pepper
- 3 1/2 cups milk, divided
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbs butter
- dash paprika
Putting It All Together:
- Place half of cooked spaghetti in bottom of lightly greased 13×9 inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle with half of shredded cheese.
- Repeat with remaining spaghetti and cheese for a second layer.
- Combine flour, salt & pepper in a bowl.
- Whisk in 1 tbs milk.
- Add remaining milk and eggs to flour mix, stirring with whisk until blended.
- Pour milk mixture over spaghetti.
- Divide 2 tbs butter, dotting on top of spaghetti.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
To Make Ahead: stop at step 8 and cover tightly with foil. Refrigerate up to 2 days. When ready to cook, remove from refrigerator, allow to come to room temperature, uncover and continue with step 9.