Berry Baked French Toast
|May 9, 2011||Filled under Breakfast, Casserole, Main Dish, Make Ahead|
This is not you average French Toast recipe. Fresh French Bread, brown sugar and your favorite fruits baked together in a breakfast casserole that is as beautiful as it is tasty. This is a special occasion breakfast recipe that you can also make ahead of time. I selected this recipe to serve my mother this Mother’s Day morning and it was a hit with Mom and my daughters.
- 1 loaf for fresh French Bread
- 6 egg whites
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- dash salt
- 12oz package frozen fruit (your favorite kind)
- 3 tbs cold butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
Putting It All Together:
- Slice loaf of French Break in half longways.
- Cut or pull break into bite sized pieces.
- Spray 13×9 inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place bread cubes into baking dish.
- In a large bowl combine egg whites, eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and salt.
- Mix lightly with whisk.
- Pour egg mix evenly over bread cubes.
- Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours.
- 30 minutes before cooking, remove package of fruit from freezer to thaw.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Remove baking dish from refrigerator and place on counter while oven heats.
- Bake covered at 350 for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl cut cold butter into brown sugar until crumbly.
- Sprinkle fruit over french toast.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over fruit.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
If you are not a fruit and berry lover, you can also skip the fruit and use maple syrup instead. When you remove from oven, sprinkle powdered sugar over maple syrup. Enjoy!by