Dinner Mini Pies
|September 15, 2011||Filled under Main Dish, Pie, Sandwich|
This one surprised me, in a good way.
If you follow this blog you have heard me mention my little strong headed, very picky, “I-don’t-like-that” daughter. At three, almost four years old her pallet is extremely particular. She likes mac-n-cheese but not my homemade kind. She will put up with mine but prefers it come from a box with a packet of yellow powder. She likes baked ham but only if it is cold. Lunchables are a favorite which has lead me to start cutting fresh deli meats into little circles for her preschool lunches. And she will tolerate corn, but not on the cob. Now, imagine my frustration. I love to cook and she does not love to eat unless it fits one of these very limiting options.
Sometime earlier this year (probably during a dinner battle with her) I had a revelation that changed my outlook on feeding this strong willed darling. I concluded that no matter how hard I mixed and sauced and seasoned and whipped, I had absolutely no power to influence her likes and dislikes. Something tells me I need to apron pocket this lesson for the years to come like a good go-to recipe.
Which brings us to tonight’s surprise of this recipe for Dinner Mini Pies. Finding a roll of refrigerated pizza crust, I thought this might be a good way to use up leftovers. With low expectations and the warm pies I called the girls to the table for dinner. Low and behold my littlest one ate three of them. After her first cautious bite she announced “I want to eat this every day.” She never guessed there were veggies inside as she finished off one after another. To be perfectly honest, I was not that impressed with them but they will definitely be made again.
This recipe makes 8 pies and can easily be stuffed with whatever is in the fridge. All you need is a meat, a starch and some veggies.
- 1 roll refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 cup cooked mac-n-cheese (or rice or mashed potatoes)
- 1 cup chopped cooked ham (or turkey or chicken)
- 1/2 cup cooked carrots, finely chopped (or corn or peas)
- 1/4 cup softened cream cheese (or shredded cheddar)
- dash of salt & pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 & lightly grease large jelly roll pan.
- In a large mixing bowl combine mac-n-cheese, ham, carrots, cheese, salt and pepper, mixing until well combined.
- Unroll pizza dough on a large, clean surface.
- Cut dough into 4 to 5 inch squares.
- Place 2 tbs of ham mix in the middle of each square, folding dough over to seal around mix.
- Place pies on greased pan.
- Brush lightly with egg.
- Bake at 400 for 20 minutes or until golden.