|October 15, 2011||Filled under Desserts, Party|
It is Saturday, mid October. You have your dingy black sweatpants paired nicely with a multi-stained U2 tee shirt that you purchased at a concert at least 10 years ago. You just finished mopping the floor and are now moving on to paying bills. The phone rings. It’s your Aunt Fay and Uncle Roger. Surprise! They are in town for the weekend, attending the Annual Quilters’ Guild meeting and want to see if they can come by and see the kids after dinner. A million excuses run through your head. You are even certain you could hide the car behind the house. But you can’t say “no.” Though you are not sure why, you just can’t. So you fake excitement, suggest they come by around 7pm and hang up the phone. The inner Betty Crocker begins to scream, “what will you serve them” because of course, you cannot have guests without serving something. But you are so short on time and though the floor is clean, the rest of the house is a mess.
Do not fear. Lunch-Wagon is here. This will wow ole’ Fay and Roger. Pizzazz Pumpkin is one of those miracle desserts that looks like it took all day but can be whipped up in less than an hour. So bring on the drop-ins. They will sip coffee, enjoy a seasonal mousse and leave giving you praises as the perfect hostess.
- 1 2lb pie pumpkin
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pkg instant vanilla pudding, prepared per directions & cooled completely
- 1 can solid packed pumpkin
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
- optional: additional whipped topping and pumpkin pie spice
Putting It All Together:
- Cut top off pumpkin, scoop out and discard all seeds and pulp.
- Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon inside pumpkin.
- Put pumpkin top back on and place on baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Combine canned pumpkin, brown sugar, and whipped topping in a large bowl.
- Add pumpkin mixture to vanilla pudding, stirring well.
- Remove pumpkin top and spoon mousse into pudding.
- Optional: garnish with additional whipped topping and sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice.