Posts Tagged by Chicken
|February 23, 2013||Filled under Soups & Stews|
Saturday is our running day. Drum lessons, grocery shopping, oil change, hair cuts, pick up that birthday card…you get the picture. We wake up early, the girls usually make breakfast and then it is off and running until dinner time.… more
|March 18, 2012||Filled under Chicken, Main Dish|
Maybe it’s because Dr. Seuss just had a birthday Or maybe it was the green beer from St. Patty’s day Something has me in a rhyming type mood Even though this article’s all about food Maybe… more
|March 11, 2012||Filled under Casserole, Chicken, Main Dish|
Get ready for ooey gooey! This is a great Sunday casserole dish for the family. Great flavors and easy to sneak the veggies in. I used mushrooms below but feel free to try others. It has been a tough couple… more
|February 26, 2012||Filled under Chicken, Main Dish, Make Ahead|
This past week I had to do some traveling for work. I always worry about what the family will eat while I am away. I envision a diet packed with take out, leftovers, and drive through goodies. BBQ Chicken with… more
|January 28, 2012||Filled under Chicken, Main Dish, Party, Slow Cooker|
OK, let me be perfectly honest right up front. I don’t love football. I don’t love that it takes 4+ hours to play a game with only about 20 minutes of actual “playing” time. I don’t love that there are… more
|November 19, 2011||Filled under Chicken, Main Dish|
There was a time when my husband and I would go to a restaurant for dinner. On a Tuesday night. Just because we felt like it. Seems like a lifetime ago though it was really just a little less than a decade… more
|November 12, 2011||Filled under Casserole, Chicken, Main Dish|
We had a little miracle show up on our door step just days ago and now we are a family of six. I know, it is truly amazing! She is just beautiful. Her yellowish-greenish eyes sparkle when she is happy. … more
|November 4, 2011||Filled under Casserole, Chicken, Main Dish|
Ever just need to snuggle up with something warm? I think today is just one of those days. It is pouring rain. I mean cats and dogs, blinding, no windshield wiper setting is fast enough rain. And something about today’s… more
|October 17, 2011||Filled under Casserole, Chicken, Main Dish|
This recipe dates back to the 1800’s. And when you think about the ingredients, it is easy to understand why this recipe would stand the test of time. And famine. And plague. And voyage. I love the history of food… more
|October 1, 2011||Filled under Casserole, Chicken, Main Dish, Soups & Stews|
I can’t remember the first time I enjoyed my Mama’s Chicken & Dumplings. I must have been very young. I do however remember my Mama complaining about her dumplings being runny every time she made them. Despite her dismissal of… more
- 1 (3lb) whole chicken, cut up
- 3 quarts water
- 2 tbs minced onion
- 2 tsp whole celery seed
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 tbs course salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 3 crushed chicken flavored bouillons
- 2 cups bisquick
- 3 tsp dried sweet basil
- 2/3 cup whole milk
Putting It All Together:
- Combine chicken, water, minced onion, celery seed, garlic powder, thyme and salt in a large pot.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat to simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 1 & 1/2 hours.
- Remove from heat and remove chicken to large cutting board.
- Allow chicken to cool (approx. 15 minutes).
- Meanwhile strain broth, discarding solids and skim of fat.
- Return 8 cups of broth to large pot (save the rest of broth for other cooking in a glass jar).
- Stir pepper and crushed bouillons into broth.
- Skin and bone chicken, shredding meat with fingers.
- Place chicken in a dish and cover; set asside.
- Combine bisquick and sweet basil in a mixing bowl.
- Add milk and stir just until moistened.
- Bring broth to a simmer (careful not to boil).
- Drop dumplings in batches (about 2 tbs in size) into simmering broth.
- Cover and cook about 6 minutes.
- Remove dumplings to platter and repeat steps 14 & 15 with rest of dough.
- Add chicken back to broth and add dumplings on top.
- Simmer about 3 minutes, just to warm everything up.
- Serve immediately.